Fogo Island Inn
A pioneer in sustainability, Fogo Island is an enterprise to be admired. Sat on an island, hidden away within a small fishing community, they are trailblazing in sustainability practices. Set in the poignant, wild Canadian landscape offering guests incredible wilderness adventure, a rooftop sauna and world-class stargazing credentials, this is a very special Inn.
- The Inn is a social enterprise and a community asset. They are a registered Canadian charity that reinvests 100% of its profits into the community to help secure a sustainable future for Fogo Island.
- Through their ‘Economic Nutrition’ display, consumers are completely aware of how their money spent at the Inn is distributed and how it impacts the local and global economy.
- From inception, they have adopted a responsible and sustainable relationship with the natural world. Using local, ethical suppliers they are deeply committed to the community.
- Fogo Island is heavily involved in creating sustainable fishing grounds. They support cod potting initiatives with fishers receiving significantly higher prices for cod harvested using the pods.
Every one of the 29 individually designed rooms has dramatic floor-to-ceiling windows, perfectly placed to showcase the ruggedness of Canada’s easternmost shoreline.
With 80 percent of ingredients coming from Fogo island the food served at the Inn is grounded in the island. The chef marries modern sensibilities with deep-rooted culinary traditions with each dish telling a story of the fishers, hunters & foragers of the past.
Depending on the season you are visiting Fogo Island have an array of activities for you to enjoy. Spend your days taking boat trips scouting for whales, skate over frozen lakes or spend time with a community host before finishing the day with some star gazing as you enjoy the rooftop sauna and hot tub.
BWW LOVES IT BECAUSE…
Fogo Island Inn is the poster boy for responsible and sustainable tourism. Reinvesting 100% off it’s profits back into the community is an enterprise to be admired. The lodge is a shining example of what accommodation providers should be aiming for.
- Rooftop Sauna and Hot Tub
- 29 one-of-a-kind rooms
- Bespoke wilderness adventures
- Access to Community Hosts
- Wood burning stoves in many rooms
- Extraordinary stargazing
OTHER ECO-MMODATIONS IN OUR LIST
SOSSUSVLEI DESERT LODGE
1 HOTEL BROOKLYN BRIDGE